History of Cardiff Yacht Club
Cardiff Yacht Club was founded in 1900 with the club meeting in the Avondale Hotel, Clarence Road, Butetown. The Marquis of Bute, who owned the docks, presented silver cups to the winners of the races held at the annual reviews and regattas. These cups are currently in the safe keeping of the Cardiff County Council.
The old clubhouse was built by members from a prefabricated building in 1958 and extended in 1981. The new clubhouse was opened in 2001 and is currently up and running. This operation was organised and mainly buillt by members. The club is a freeholder of 2.4 acres of land and has a covenant for 40 years which stops us trading for profit.
Of course, back then the bay was tidal. Times have changed! See the photos section for some old photos of the club.